Cheesecake Cream Puffs
cheesecake cream puffs
- PLANT-BASED HEAVY CREAM OR COCONUT CREAM: 1 cup
- Spero Sunflower Cream Cheese: 1 cup, softened, we use The Original
- GRANULATED SUGAR: 1/3cup
- TABLE SALT: 1/3 cup
- VANILLA EXTRACT: 1/8 tsp
- STRAWBERRY JAM: 1/2 cup
- POWDERED SUGAR: for dusting
- WATER: 1/4 cup
- PLANT-BASED MILK: 1/2 cup, divided
- VANILLA EXTRACT: 1 tsp
- SUGAR: 1/2 tbsp (6g)
- VEGAN BUTTER: 3 tbsp
- ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR: 1/2 cup
- SPERO PEPITA EGG: 1/2 cup
- PLACE heavy cream in a large bowl. Beat at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks from. Combine Spero Sunflower Cream Cheese, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a separate medium bowl. Beat until smooth. Gently fold in the whipped cream.
- PLACE cheesecake filling in piping bag fitted with an open piping tip. Allow to chill in the fridge.
- PREHEAT oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- COMBINE 1/4 cup of the plant-based milk with the Just Egg and set aside.
- COMBINE the water, remaining plant-based milk, sugar, vanilla extract and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over medium, stirring with a rubber spatula until the butter dissolves. Allow to cook undisturbed until it comes to a simmer.
- ADD in the flour carefully once the liquid ingredients begin to simmer. Reduce heat to low. Mix until the flour is completely incorporated and it thickens and forms a dough ball. It should come off the sides of the pan easily, about 1 minute.
- SCOOP the dough out of the pan and into a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Flatten the dough to help release the heat. Mix with a paddle attachment on low until the dough is no longer steaming, about 10 minutes.
- ADD in the Just Egg and milk mixture a few tablespoons at a time, mixing on medium, making sure it is fully incorporated before each addition.
- PREPARE a piping bag with a star tip. Fill prepared piping bag with the batter. You can use a resealable bag if you do not have piping bags.
- PIPE 1 1/2-inch mounds by holding the pastry bag straight up, about 1/2-inch above from the paper, and gently squeeze without moving the piping bag. When you reach the desired size, quickly twist and flick the piping bag so you have more of a flat top than a peak.
- BAKE for 15 minutes at 400 F, then reduce the oven heat to 375 F and continue to bake until the puffs are well browned and cooked through, about 35 more minutes. Once the puffs are golden brown, turn off the oven and leave the oven door open a crack for 10 minutes to allow the inside of the puffs to continue to dry out while also cooling down. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- CUT the top one-third off each cream puff. Spoon a scoop of the strawberry jam into the bottom of the cream puff. Pipe the cheesecake filling on top of the strawberry jam. Replace the tops. Chill until ready to serve. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.